Wednesday, December 18, 2013

How to Style: Shorts in the Fall/Winter


With the unpredictable California weather, it can be difficult to pick an appropriate outfit for the day. Whether or not you're soaking up the Californian sun or live in another unpredictable climate, shorts can be the perfect fall/winter outfit go-to. 

Wait, SHORTS?! I know, I can hear the outcry now. But in reality, as crazy as it sounds, the right pairing can make shorts not only cute but comfortably warm for the season. 

This outfit was inspired by my manager, who first introduced me to the shorts with tall boots trend. I always told her I didn't think I could pull it off because my legs are so long. The solution? Thigh high socks!

Pairing a dark pair of shorts in cotton or heavyweight material with a heavy sweater is the best balance. While I've seen some pull of denim shorts, they just scream "summer" too much for my liking. These black lace shorts are adorable and ultra comfy. These are from Lush but were purchased at Plato's Closet for a mere $10! Score!

My wrap sweater and boots are from Forever 21, but I also bought the sweater at Plato's Closet for only $16. 

The key to making this outfit work is to show as little skin as possible. When my manager wears this ensemble she wears knee high socks, which look ultra cute on her. Unfortunately, my legs are just a tad long to pull that off. So adding thigh high socks cuts down on the amount of skin and makes the look much more seasonly appropriate. Switching up sock colors can add some extra detailing (think grays  plums, and other jewel tone fall colors)

What do you guys think of this pairing? I think anyone can pull it off with the right amount of balance. Believe me, I tried on several sweaters before I found one that worked.


XOXO

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment